A string trimmer can take hours off of the amount of time you spend working in your yard. These convenient lawn tools can efficiently cut weeds and tall grass that your mower may have missed, and many can also edge and remove thick overgrowth. There are several factors that should be considered before you choose a string trimmer that include yard size, budget, and the type of work you need to do on your lawn. While we can’t choose the best string trimmer for you, we can show you the top rated models for 2016 that will help you finish your yard work and get back to enjoying your afternoon.
Top Rated String Trimmers in 2016
DEWALT DCST990M1 String Trimmer
This powerful string trimmer is durable, lightweight, and easy to operate. It is designed for use in almost any yard, and with the 40 volts of maximum power you can keep your lawn and garden neat and trimmed. The adjustable trigger lets you control the speed of the trimmer, along with the noise output. The gear drive is protected by a durable metal casing, and you will love how quickly you can finish your yard chores with this top rated string trimmer.
- You have the advantage of the dual cutting line that advances when you bump the head.
- With the 15 inch cutting head you can finish your yard chores and still have plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the afternoon.
- This lightweight string trimmer is designed to be easy to use, and you will love having control over the noise and speed with the adjustable trigger.
- It should be noted that this is a battery powered string trimmer, and it needs to be fully charged for optimum performance.
- Some consumers have mentioned that the line feed can become stuck, but this is usually resolved by tapping the head a few times.
Makita XRU04Z Cordless String Trimmer
There is very little not to love about this cordless string trimmer that is perfect for use in any size yard. You have the advantage of the powerful lithium battery that is capable of holding a charge up to 90 minutes. The motor features a brushless design that helps to improve performance and reduce wear and tear. Capable of up to 6,000 RPM, you can cut through thick weeds, grass, and overgrowth quickly and easily.
- This cordless trimmer is powerful and efficient, and is able to run twice as long as similar models without needing to be recharged.
- You have the advantage of being able to adjust the speed to match your current application.
- Considered one of the best cordless string trimmers, you will appreciate its comfortable and lightweight design after working in your yard.
- It should be noted that this string trimmer does not include any attachments, and might not be ideal for professional use.
- Some consumers have mentioned that the noise increases with the speed, but this is normal and not an issue with the garden tool.
Husqvarna 224L 4 Stroke Gas Trimmer
This gas powered string trimmer is designed for commercial and home use, and you will love how easy it is to operate. The 4 stroke engine is designed to start on the first try, and you also have the advantage of not having to mix the oil and fuel. The 17 inch cutting head makes yard work quick and easy, and you will love how neat and manicured your lawn looks when you’re finished. Weighing only 11.24 pounds and designed to comfortable to maneuver, you will wonder how you ever took care of your large yard without this powerful string trimmer.
- Considered one of the best string trimmers in 2015, you will appreciate its affordable price and durable construction.
- The powerful 25cc motor does not require messy fuel mixing, and you also have the advantage of the smart starting system.
- With a 17 inch head you can easily cut through tough weeds and grass, along with thick undergrowth.
- It should be noted that this is a 4 stroke gas engine, and it might be too loud in some neighborhoods.
- While this is considered one of the easiest starting gas mowers, it does still feature a pull chain which might not be ideal for all operators.
Black & Decker LST 136B Cordless String Trimmer
Like all of the products manufactured by Black & Decker this string trimmer is durable and efficient. You have the advantage of the long running time, and the ability to choose between maximum and the power saving mode. The string trimmer also converts into a convenient edger so you can finish your yard work quickly and easily. With plenty of cutting power for weeds and tall grass, along with the convenience of automatic line feed you will be amazed at how quickly you can finish your yard chores.
- You have the advantage of being able to use a 36V or 40V MAX lithium battery to make replacements easier, and to ensure your string trimmer is continuously charged.
- The convenient dial lets you choose to run the string trimmer at maximum power, or conserve running time so you can finish edging and trimming your lawn.
- This string trimmer can also be converted into a convenient edger simply by twisting the shaft.
- It should be noted that this is a cordless string trimmer, and it might not be able to run longer enough to finish yards larger than an acre.
- While you can control the amount of power, some consumers have mentioned that this is not practical if you are cutting through heavy undergrowth.
Hitachi CG22EASSLP 2 Stroke Gas String Trimmer
This string trimmer is easy to operate and features a powerful engine that is designed for commercial use. Perfect for landscapers, you will appreciate how easy this trimmer is to start on the first try. You also have the advantage of the anti vibration design that helps to prevent arm and wrist fatigue, while making it more comfortable to use for long periods of time. Cut through thick weeds, grass, and brush without any problems, and enjoy the benefits of finishing your work early with this powerful 2 stroke string trimmer.
- This string trimmer features a carburetor that is compliant with all regulations.
- The automatic line feed ensures continuous cutting, and can hold up to 13 feet so you don’t have to worry about running out before you are finished.
- You will appreciate the lightweight construction and the anti vibration mode after a long day trimming and maintaining your lawn.
- It should be noted that this is a gas powered string trimmer and might be too loud for some neighborhoods.
- Some consumers have mentioned that this model can be difficult to start, but this is generally due to over priming.
Latest posts by Wade Hallesson (see all)
- WORX WG156 Li-Ion Cordless Grass Trimmer/Edger Review - September 4, 2016
- The Best String Trimmers For 2016 - May 12, 2016
- Narrowing Down Your Weed Eater Choices - September 18, 2015